Windows 10 lets you to optimize and defrag drives in various ways to enhance the performance of your PC. By default, these processes are performed automatically on weekly basis and Windows automatically choose the optimization which is right for your disk. You can also perform optimization as well as defragmentation manually whenever required.
Drive optimization helps you to arrange data stored on hard disk drive in a manner that enriches the performance of your Windows 10 PC. Optimizing drives, removes the fragmentation and places all the unused spaces of your drive at one place. After optimization, free space is available as a large single chunk instead of small different chunks to save new files.
On the other hand, defragmentation process reduces the fragmentation of a storage device. In the process of defragmentation, all the fragments of files are places together to improve the usage of memory.
In short, optimization and defragmentation of drives, both lead to improve the performance of Windows 10 Computer. Let’s discuss various ways to optimize and defrag drives manually.
Optimize Drives Using Command Prompt
Launch an Elevated (Administrator’s) Command Prompt and run the following command
defrag c: /o
Description of Command: In the above given command, c: is the drive which we are going to optimize, you can use the substitute of c: with the drive letter which you need to defrag. And /o is parameter which is used to instruct the system for performing proper optimization for each media type.
If you want to perform defragmentation on all the HDDs and SSDs at once then run the following command
defrag /c /o
Various parameters that can be used with defrag command are:
Optimize Drives Using Optimize Drive Tool
There are two ways to get through optimize drives tool. This tool is easily accessible via both ways and you can use any of them.
Optimize Drives From Windows File Explorer Menu
1. Launch the File Explorer and click on This PC appearing on the left pane of the window.
2. Now select the drive for optimization and click on Manage tab from the menu. Tap on Optimize option displayed on the top left corner of window.
3. Optimize Drives window will appear. Select the drive from the list and hit Optimize button.
Analyze the drive: On the Optimize drives window, you can see Analyze button adjacent to Optimize button. You can select the drive and click Analyze button to check whether it needs to be optimized or not. If your drive is fragmented more than 10% then it should be optimized.
Defragment Partition From Drive Properties
1. In the File Explorer window, right click on the drive which you want to optimize and select Properties option.
2. Click on Tools tab and hit (click) Optimize button.
Defragment Drives Using Windows PowerShell
1. Launch Elevated (Administrator’s) PowerShell.
2. Run the following command to analyze the current optimization of drive.
Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter D -Analyze -Verbose
Here “D” is drive letter and you can replace this as per requirement.
3. To trim or defragment drive automatically, run the following command
Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter D -Verbose
Here “D” is drive letter and you can use substitute of this.
4. To trim a Solid State Drive (SSD), run the following command
Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter D -ReTrim –Verbose
Use substitute drive letter as per need.
Warning: Don’t use this command on Hard Drive.
5. Run the following command to defrag a hard drive
Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter D -Defrag –Verbose
Replace the drive letter “D” with the substitute when needed.
Warning: Don’t use this command on Solid State Drive (SSD).