Windows Defender is the built-in antivirus protection available for Windows 10 users. Windows Defender helps to protect Windows 10 from spyware, viruses, malware and other potentially unwanted software. Windows Defender always runs in the background to protect PCs and notifies you from time to time. It detects suspicious programs or links and removes them quickly and recommends restarting the PC if required. Sometimes there is a need to Disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 as it restricts some third-party programs to be installed and blocks them automatically.
We are providing a step-by-step guide to disable Windows Defender that helps you to prevent Windows Defender blocking software without your consent.
What Is Windows Defender?
Windows Defender is a tiny security application that is developed to protect your PC from the latest threats. It acts more like a shield than a cleaning tool. It has the capability to detect and defend against malicious software (malware) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. You can switch off Windows Defender in Windows 10 quickly whenever required. It is recommended that you keep your Windows 10 Updated for this you can download windows 10 offline update to update multiple windows 10 systems. Check our blog post to Download Windows 10 ISO latest version.
How to Disable Windows Defender?
Here you can check the various ways to Enable/Disable the Windows Defender in Windows 10. If you are searching for How to Turn Off Windows Defender then you are installing some third-party software that is blocked by Window Defender or you are using another antivirus. So, you cannot install that app or do some specific tasks without disabling Windows Defender.
There are two different ways that you can use to disable or enable Windows defender. The first method is used to disable Windows defender temporarily and the second one is used to turnoff Windows defender permanently.
Shortcut Method to Turn Off Windows Defender
- Launch the Settings App on Windows 10 PC and select ‘Update & Security’.
- Go to ‘Windows Security’ and select ‘Virus & Threat Protection’.
- Under ‘Virus & Threat Protection Settings’ click on Manage Settings.
- Under ‘Real-Time Protection’ toggle the switch to turn it Off.
Two Options to Enable/Disable Windows Defender
# First Method: Disable Windows Defender Temporarily
- Step 1: On your Windows 10 Laptop or Desktop launch Windows Setting.
- Now click on Update and Security.
- In Update and security page go to “Windows Security”.
- In the Windows security page click on “Open Windows Security Center”.
- Now Scroll down and click on “Virus & Threat Protection settings”
- Step 6: Now you can see the Real-Time Protection option. If you want to disable Windows defender then turn off this option.
That’s it, you have successfully turned off Windows Defender!
# Second Method: Turn-off Windows Defender Permanently
The second option to Enable or Disable Windows Defender Using Group Policy Permanently. Only Network admin is authorized to turn-off Windows Defender from the Network. If you are using Windows 10 Home Edition, you need to enable gpedit.msc Group Policy Editor. Follow the below-given steps to turn off Windows Defender using Group Policy editor are follows:
- Press “Win + R” keys together to open Run App. Type “regedit.msc” and press Enter key.
- The local group policy editor will be opened. Now click on the Computer Configuration link.
- In the computer configuration, go to “Administrative templates”.
- After clicking on Administrative templates now go to “Windows Components”.
- In Windows components, double click on the “Turn Off Windows Defender Antivirus”.
- Now you can see the Enable and Disable option. Select the option to disable Windows defender permanently on Windows 10 PC.
You can follow the same process to Enable Windows Defender on Windows 10.