Smartphones have become an integral part of one’s life. Your smartphone may contain your personal as well as professional information, which if falls in wrong hands can have a devastating effect on you.
As a safeguard, Google has developed an app called “Find My Device” which lets you find lost Android phone, lock and erase data remotely.
Google’s Find My Device is a part of Google Play Protect. If you are using a device running Android 4.0 or later, you can install Find My Device app.
You can check battery life of your misplaced or stolen Android mobile phone and W-Fi network to which it is connected. Moreover, you can play the sound of your Android device remotely for 5 minutes even if your device is on silent mode. This feature also helps you to find lost Android phone.
You can operate Find My Device app from your laptop or PC using Google account. Sometimes, the person who gets your lost mobile phone wants to return your device, you can leave the message and contact number where you can be reached. In addition, if you are worried about your data saved on your Android mobile phone, you can erase data remotely. It is always recommended to backup your important data on your PC or external storage media.
How to Install and Setup Find My Device App
- First of all, get Find My Device from Google Play Store and install it on your Android phone.
- Open the app and sign in using Google account.
- Give location access to the app service to complete the setup.
How to Track & Find Lost Android Phone
In case, your Android phone gets misplaced, you can track the location.
- Open the Find my device website.
- You need to sign in to your Google account which you are using in Android device.
- Your device battery status and Wi-Fi network connection will be displayed on the top left corner of the window and on the right pane of the window, the location of the device can be seen.
- Sometimes, you keep your device anywhere by mistake and unable to find it. You can play the sound to find lost Android phone (see the screenshot).
How to Lock Android Phone Remotely
- In order to lock lost Android phone remotely, click on Lock link and then enter the message and contact number using which you can be contacted. Now click Lock button.
- The message will be displayed on your device after locking it. The person, holding your Android device can make a call by tapping on the call icon.
How to Erase Android Phone Data Remotely
To erase the data of your Android device from a remote location, just click on Erase link. The message will display (see the screenshot). Click Erase button to confirm. The data will be permanently erased from your Android phone.