Get Windows 10 updates and Microsoft Store apps updates more quickly and consistently with the help of amazing Windows 10 feature, Delivery Optimization. Generally, all the updates are downloaded from the official Microsoft servers which lead them to be challenging for those with limited internet access.
Although the most used source of Windows 10 updates is Microsoft, there are more sources like other PCs on the local network, or PCs on the Internet that have already downloaded the same updates. Delivery Optimization not only downloads the files from other computers but also share the update files to other PCs on the network or internet (it depends on the settings you configured).
Widows 10 updates Delivery Optimization breaks down the update file into small parts instead of downloading the entire file from the single source and each small part is fetched from the trustworthy source. This is meant to be the fastest method of getting Windows 10 updates.
How to Update Windows 10 from Another Computer on the Local Network
You can share Windows 10 updates between computers on the same local network and experience bandwidth friendly environment. To update Windows 10 from another computer, follow the below given steps:
- Hit the Windows button from the keyboard, click on the gear icon to launch the Settings app. You can also press Windows + I to open Settings app directly.
- Click on Update & Security.
- On the left pane of window, you can notice “Delivery Optimization”, tap on it (or Select how updates are delivered in earlier versions of Windows 10). Now on the right pane, turn on “Allow downloads from other PC’s”.
- Now choose between the options “PCs on my local network” or “PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet”.
When you use Delivery Optimization, your Windows 10 computer may share already downloaded Windows updates with the PCs on the local network or on the Internet.
If you have enabled metered network, your PC will not share Window 10 update with other computers.
Note: It will not share your personal data with others.
Make sure to perform the above given steps to other computers too on the local network as this will boost the performance of delivery optimization.
How to check Delivery Optimization Activity Monitor in Windows 10
If you have enabled delivery optimization a few days ago, you can check if it works or not.
Note: This process will not show any results if you have just turned-on delivery optimization feature recently.
- Go to the Settings app, hit Update & Security and then tap on Delivery optimization.
- Tap on Activity monitor which will show the download statistics and upload statistics. You can notice the statistics with details.
That’s done! Now you can enjoy optimization of Windows 10 update delivery within a local network or over the internet.