Microsoft has released new Windows 10 preview build 18956 for the Fast Ring Insiders with new improvements and bug fixes. It is the latest insider previews build update to Windows 10. Last week Windows 10 has released the insider preview build 18950 with new features. This build includes a new view of active network connection & integrated data usage, the new always on top Calculator, more users on the new Cortana Experience, and better control over notifications.
If you are a Microsoft Insider user you can manually download and install Windows 10 preview build 18956 by going into Setting> Update & Security> Window Updates and the check for new updates.
What’s new in Build 18956
Redesigned Network Status
This update contains a number of new features for the network connection section. It includes a new view of active connection in your device on Windows 10. Now, it will show all available connection interfaces on the Status page, so you can quickly see what is connected and view and change properties as needed. If you have multiple connections, there will be used only one internet connection at a time. The internet connection Status diagram will show at the top of the page. In the status page, you can check how much data is used and also see how much data each app is used.
The notification settings improvements include:
• If you hover your mouse over an incoming notification, you’ll now see a settings icon to make it easy to adjust that app’s notification settings.
• Microsoft has updated the design of the per-app notification settings for visual clarity.
• There’s now a direct link to notification settings at the top of the Action Centre.
• Notifications & Action Settings now has a checkbox for muting the sound of all notifications.
• By default, the senders in Notifications & Action Settings are now sorted by most recently sent a notification.
Calculator app updates
This new build in the Fast ring insider includes a new feature in the Calculator app. This app is most notable because it adds the ability to put Calculator in an “Always on Top mode” and to keep always visible. Once you have the updated version, you will be able to switch into the Always on Top mode by clicking the icon next to the calculator mode name.
In Windows 10 Insider build 18956 is now available for 50% of the Insiders using English (United States). You may need to restart your PC to see the changes on your PC. Looking for something to try once it appears for you? Try “What’s the weather?” or “Tell me a joke” to get started.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
The list of the changelog is published on the Windows blog.
• We are in the process of returning Tamper Protection to being on by default for all Insiders. You’ll see this change reflected on your PC across the next few weeks.
• We fixed an issue where, if snipping via Print Screen was enabled, certain UI would unexpectedly dismiss before it could be captured in the snip.
• We fixed an issue resulting in the touch keyboard button not launching the touch keyboard on certain devices.
• We fixed an issue where, if you dragged File Explorer while the search drop-down was visible, the drop-down could end up disconnected from the search box.
• We fixed an issue where, if a search was in progress in File Explorer, then it’d take two clicks on the X to clear the search results.
• We fixed an issue where using the “Automatically type into Search Box” view setting would result in the first letter of your File Explorer search being dropped.
• We fixed an issue where File Explorer recent searches weren’t disabled when the group policy “Turn off display of recent search entries in the File Explorer search box” was enabled.
• We fixed an issue where explorer.exe would crash when searching File Explorer starting in a One Drive folder if One Drive was not running.
• We fixed an issue where Homegroup options might still appear in the “Give access to” File Explorer context menu entry, despite the Homegroup feature no longer being available.
• We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders experiencing a taskbar search crash right after log-in.
• There has been an issue with older versions of anti-cheat software used with games where after updating to the latest 19H1 Insider Preview builds may cause PCs to experience crashes. We are working with partners on getting their software updated with a fix, and most games have released patches to prevent PCs from experiencing this issue. To minimize the chance of running into this issue, please make sure you are running the latest version of your games before attempting to update the operating system. We are also working with anti-cheat and game developers to resolve similar issues that may arise with the 20H1 Insider Preview builds and will work to minimize the likelihood of these issues in the future.
• Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
• Occasionally, the candidate selection in prediction candidate window for the Japanese IME doesn’t match with the composition string. We are investigating the issue.
• When connected via cellular, the Network status will be incorrect, but the device is able to use the connection.