Few days back Microsoft released an updated version of PowerToys for Windows 10. PowerToys is a software package which was originally released with Windows 95. PowerToys consists set of utilities which allows used to modify some of the advance windows settings without having any knowledge of Windows Registry structure. PowerToys enables power users to work on Windows 10 shell in a more efficient way.
Microsoft has made the PowerToy project Opensource and its code is released on GitHub repository. In the latest update 3 tools are available. PowerRename, FancyZones and Shortcut.
What is PowerRename Utility in PowerToys?
PowerRename as the name suggest is bulk file renaming Windows Shell Extension which allow user to rename multiple files using search and replace feature.
Changelog for PowerRename:
- The dialogue can be resized (still need to finish the work to handle DPI changes when moving the dialogue between the screen with different scaling %).
- Added settings to restore search and replace flags value from the previous run.
- Added settings to enable autocomplete and auto-suggest.
- Improved RegEx replace result.
- Fix bug preventing sub-folder items to be renamed if parent folder is also renamed.
What is FancyZones Utility in PowerToys?
FancyZones is a window manager that makes it easy to create complex window layouts and quickly position windows into those layouts.
- Removed legacy editor (along with the settings option to choose between the legacy editor and the new editor).
- Added a setting to disable FanzyZones for user-defined list of applications.
- The editor now opens highlighting the currently active layout.
- Show the correct keyboard key for the editor shortcut (with some limitations due to the WebView control).
- Fixed the FancyZones bug that was stealing the number keys (mostly happening when dragging Chrome tabs).
- Fixed a DPI scaling bug in the FancyZones editor that was causing the zones to be placed in the wrong position on the screen.
- Fixed bug preventing several apps from working with FancyZones (there are still some cases, like remote apps, that may not work).
What is Shortcuts Utility in PowerToys?
The shortcut guide appears when a user holds the Windows key down for more than one second and shows the available shortcuts for the current state of the desktop. The shortcut guide backlog can be found here
Other bug fixes
- fixed a bug in the runner that was causing the tray icon to not appear.
- minor UI tweaks to the Settings appearance (icons position and margins, module’s description text and documentation link position and margins).
- fixed a crash in the ShortcutGuide.