Microsoft has released Insider Preview Build 16251 for Windows 10 PC users in the Fast ring. This latest Insider Preview Build 16251 includes a bunch of improvements and interesting features. Moreover, this Windows 10 build 16251 will also be available for those Windows Insiders who prefer in to skip ahead.
The Insider Preview for Windows Server is not available this week. Windows 10 users who have enrolled themselves as Insiders in the Fast ring, can install this build 16251 and help Microsoft team to improve the functionality of Windows and release stable Windows 10 builds.
With this latest build, the Windows 10 users will be able to link the Android phone with PC and even shut down, restart, lock or sign-out the Windows PC using voice command.
Changelog of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16251
New Features Introduced in Windows 10 Build 16251
Linking the phone and PC: Microsoft has introduced a new set of features that help to link the phone to PC. This new feature is available for Android users but soon will support iPhone. As the scenario of this Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16251 is based on cross-device web-browsing, the Insiders are asked to experience this feature and provide their feedback to Microsoft team.
Once you install Windows 10 build 16251, you can link your phone by accessing Settings > Phone. After that, you’ll need to add your phone which you want to connect to your Windows 10 PC. The text message from Microsoft will redirect you to install “Microsoft Apps” on Android device to complete the linking process.
Now start browsing the web on your Android phone, launch any website, click on Share and “Continue on PC”. Furthermore, you need you choose whether you want to continue now or later.
Get quick web search results in Cortana pane: Now the Windows 10 users will no need to launch web browser as the search results will be displayed quickly on Cortana pane. In case, the pane doesn’t expand automatically, just click on the Arrow showing next to the web suggestions, the web results will get displayed in the pane.
Cortana voice commands to lock, sign-out, shut down, or turn off your PC: Now Windows 10 digital assistant will help you to lock, sign-out, shut down, or turn off your PC without touching your keyboard or mouse. You can use following voice commands:
“Hey Cortana, restart PC.”
“Hey Cortana, turn off PC.”
“Hey Cortana, sign out.”
“Hey Cortana, lock PC.”
For this moment, this feature is available only in the English language. Hopefully, after making this stable, it will be provided in other languages too.
Improvements Introduced in the Windows 10 Build 16251
Improved Boot Up Experience:
Use sign-in info to apply settings after a restart or update: The advanced Windows Update feature to use your sign-in info to automatically finish setting your device after an update has been extended to regular reboots and shutdowns. When you log in and initiate a reboot or a shutdown through power options available on the Start Menu and various other locations, Windows will automatically setup your account after it has booted back up.
This will help you sign-in faster and will restore your accessibility applications and any other application that has registered for application restart.
Shutdown the computer. On the next boot, restart any registered applications.
Full shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is rebooted, restart any registered applications.
Opt-out: Under the Privacy section of the Sign-in options page of your Settings, you can disable and re-enable using the option shown below:
Note: The feature is only available on PCs that are not managed by enterprises. This includes home PCs that are sync’d to enterprise (work, school, etc.) email.
- We’ve adjusted the size of the one-handed touch keyboard to be a little bigger, as well as added a thicker border as padding around it so you’re less likely to accidentally tap outside the keyboard and dismiss it.
- We’ve updated the new XAML touch keyboard to now support a full keyboard layout option for English (United States), English (Australia), French (France), Italian (Italy), German (Germany) and Spanish (Spain) languages. Appreciate everyone who shared feedback on the subject! To access this keyboard layout, tap the button in the top left of the touch keyboard.
- As you launch and dismiss the touch keyboard, you’ll now notice an animation of it sliding in and out.
- We’ve softened the sound of typing on the touch keyboard – thanks for your feedback!
- We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard might get into a state where swiping across it would move the keyboard contents around.
- We’ve updated the Japanese one-handed touch keyboard specific key labels to be written using the Yu-gothic UI font.
- We fixed an issue where the Japanese touch keyboard might sometimes take multiple taps of the delete key to delete a selected character or phrase in certain text fields.
- We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard’s options in Settings to disable suggestions and disable “add a space after I choose a text suggestion” didn’t work.
- We’ve adjusted two-finger precision touchpad scrolling so it should feel a bit smoother now – please try it out in today’s build.
- We fixed an issue where the Microsoft Pinyin IME candidate window wasn’t visible when Microsoft Edge was in full-screen mode (F11).
- We fixed an issue where Japanese IME status notification didn’t appear when the IME was turned on with Kana input method.
- In addition to scrolling, pen can now also select and drag objects when barrel button (a button on the side of the pen) is pressed. This functionality was already available in Win32 apps and Microsoft Edge as of 16215, and today we’re expanding it to include all UWP apps as well. Please try it out in your favorite apps and let us know how the experience is working for you.
- We fixed an issue where it wasn’t possible to use the pen to move a Win32 app window up and down by dragging the title bar.
- We fixed an issue where the coordinates were slightly off when using the pen to point erase in the last few flights.
Microsoft Edge Improvements
- Microsoft Edge will no longer re-scale sites when in Tablet Mode with narrow viewport width (such as in a snapped view or portrait orientation). This provides a more natural experience on modern responsive sites in tablet mode.
- We fixed an issue from recent builds where the Copy Link option displayed in Microsoft Edge when you right-click a hyperlink wasn’t working.
- We fixed numerous reliability issues in Microsoft Edge that will improve user experience with crashes and hangs within the app.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge with PDF failing to open on refresh.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge with PDF fitting to page for certain books.
- We fixed an issue with Pinned Sites from Microsoft Edge where it wasn’t showing the right favicon on the taskbar.
PC Gaming Improvements
- Some users may see Game Mode enabled in the Game Bar by default for some of their games.
If you experience the latest features of this Insider Preview Build 16251, share your experience with us in the comments section.
Source: Windows Blog